3.02.2009

Mini Break

Well, whaddya know. A snow day. Great timing, too. I was up until 3:00 this morning working on a paper for my Complementary and Alternative Medicine class this afternoon (which was canceled), so it was a lovely surprise to get to sleep in. I re-edited my paper this afternoon, then took out the mountains of recyclables that were threatening to annex the kitchen and got groceries at Trader Joe's. I feel much more prepared to face the week ahead now. And I'm so grateful that the snow came today instead of tomorrow, when it would have interfered with a huge event I've been working my butt off to plan for International Women's Day. (IWD actually falls on March 8th, but we're celebrating early for scheduling reasons.)

The little polka dot dog/mouse is a souvenir from our trip to Northampton on Friday/Saturday. It's from a store called Essentials, which is a misnomer, because as colorful and charming as the merchandise is, none of it could reasonably be called essential.

We went to a Sarah Vowell reading at the Calvin Theater on Friday night, then met Stephen's brother for breakfast on Saturday (I had Morrocan french toast and green tea with mint, then ate everyone else's leftovers), visited the Eric Carle museum, and bought a pound of candy at Sweeties.

My suitcase for the trip was bizarrely color-coordinated. I hadn't realized how many of my outfits are a variation on blue and yellow until I put these together. Stephen was quick to point out that there are no fewer than five yellow sweaters in my closet (and umpteen blue t-shirts). Even my book matched. And this doesn't include the clothes that I wore on Friday: a yellow cardigan, navy-and-white striped skirt, and navy tights. It's surprising, though, because I think of myself as more of a blue/gray/red person. Cognitive dissonance!