2.06.2008

Breakfast for Lunch



Stephen is student-teaching at a public school this semester. One of the advantages of working at public school vs private school (where he interned last year) is that he now gets school lunch. Sometimes he'll have leftovers and bring home a tiny orange, just bigger than a clementine, or an apple the size of a plum. I guess that's where they send the produce that doesn't make the grade supermarket-wise. I wonder if all oranges and apples used to be that size, before we had so many performance enhancers for them.

Today, Stephen's school had Breakfast for Lunch: french toast sticks with maple syrup. I like the concept of Breakfast for Lunch, but it wouldn't be much fun if lunch actually replicated my usual breakfast: yogurt with granola. Or, because we were out of yogurt this morning: black tea with milk and honey. That's not much of a lunch. But french toast sticks sound great.

What I don't like the sound of is Breakfast for Dinner. I want dinner to be a salty, hearty feast, not sweet and carby (you know--pancakes, toast, cereal). I'd much prefer Dinner for Breakfast. In fact, whenever I can get away with it, I'm perfectly happy to skip straight to "dinner food" first thing in the morning. Pizza, spaghetti, french fries: bring 'em on. I know, it's so wrong. So deliciously wrong.