5.15.2010

Where Have I Been?


I had good intentions of posting about Turkey as soon as we returned to the States, but then the reality of trying to finish up grad school hit and I basically sat here, at my desk, drinking strong black tea and staring at my computer screen, for the seven-week dash to the finish line. This culminated in a four-day flurry of activity at the beginning of May, when I ran two of our biggest events of the year at work, presented the results of my Masters project, and handed in a 45-page group paper for another class. Then I had a week to transform the 21-page draft of my thesis into an 88-page final product, which I turned in on Monday. I've spent so much time sitting at this desk over the past weeks, often in the wee hours of the morning, typing and shuffling papers and making checklists. That's Iggy on the right--he loves to be in the middle of whatever is going on around the apartment, even if that means squeezing himself into a slightly-too-small corner of the desk and knocking all of my papers on the floor. I actually like the company, except when he starts attacking the mouse. When I get bored, I put paper clips on the edge of the desk for him to bat around.

So I handed in my thesis on Monday, turned in the final report to my "client" on Thursday, and now I'm done with school. When Stephen and I went out Pizzeria Posto to celebrate my last day of class, he kept saying, "You have your life back!" (We were also celebrating a milestone for him--after three years working as a student teacher, intern teacher, assistant teacher, and a program assistant, he found out two weeks ago that he finally got his dream job, a full-time position teaching a combined 1st/2nd grade class in a progressive public school, which he'll start in September.) I have a huge list of things that I want to do now that my evenings and weekends are unspoken for--all of which I'd like to tell you about, but Iggy just jumped on the desk and fell asleep with his head on my arm, so I'm typing one-handed, and it's taking forever. So I'll have to get back to you. I am determined to get those Turkey pictures posted.