2.07.2010

Green Car

These license plates are what remains of our car. It was in an accident in January and we just heard from the insurance company that it's a total loss. Luckily, everyone involved is totally fine.

At some point in my life (not very long ago), this would have seemed like a huge calamity: the police report, the insurance claim, the wondering if it could be fixed and how much it would cost to do so, etc. I would have dwelt on it and fretted and regretted and all that. It was still surprising and sad and scary, but it happened so soon after the earthquake in Haiti that losing a car just didn't seem like such a big deal in comparison. It was a good and safe and reliable car that carried me and my family to many places in its 12 years, and I appreciated that. It had over 227,000 miles on it, and I was looking forward to the day when it met the quarter-million mile mark. But everyone is still here, my future is still here, very little has changed except that there's no green car parked outside our apartment building any more--and that seems like a pretty lucky outcome, considering. 

Thank you, little green car.