1.31.2009

From the Desk Of

One of my New Year's resolutions was to spend more time at home on the weekends. During the week, I almost never see the apartment during daylight hours, except for a small sliver of time between waking up and rushing out the door. I spend most evenings at class, at the gym, and/or working late at the office, so it's unusual that I'm home before 8pm.

To date, I have succeeded far better than I could ever have imagined. I've barely left the apartment over the past three weekends, and then only for short errands. I'm working on several school projects and doing a ton of editing these days, so most Saturday and Sunday hours are spent here, at my desk, typing and gazing out the window. When I'm not at the computer, I'm usually reading, trying to keep pace with the Book Club of One, or knitting while working my way through the Netflix queue.

I'm still cleaning, too. I did a deep clean of the living room closet and the bureau in the kitchen today, tossed a lot of old stuff, and finally put the Christmas tree away. Found about a dozen half-finished projects that had been stuffed in there during previous organizing frenzies: the corduroy blazer that Stephen started sewing in 2007, a half-finished hand quilting project, some embroidery still in its hoop, a sundress that I have been planning to finish for each of the past 2 summers, and a 95% complete afghan that I gave up on last winter when I decided it was too ugly to finish. It's a little overwhelming.

It's nice to be at home, though. I know we'll move out of this apartment eventually, and I want to be able to remember what it was like to be here, not just to pass through at the end of the day to actually live in the space.

That said, I think it's time I started spending a little more weekend time in the outside world. I really want to go into the city, see the Shepard Fairey survey when it opens at the ICA, maybe go to the aquarium. The icy sidewalks have thus far dissuaded me from venturing out, though. I felt the first pang of I'm-ready-for-spring yesterday while watching, of all things, a Vampire Weekend video on YouTube. I'm not sure where it was filmed, but the setting is so evocative of rural New York in the early spring, just after the snow has melted but before anything has bloomed, that I could almost feel the warm breeze in my lungs as I watched it. Oh, spring. How many weeks of snow do we have left? Eight?