10.05.2007

Friday Afternoon



I was thinking today about what my outdoor education trainer used to call the Friday Afternoon Fester. In undergrad, this is the time between 3 and 6 pm when there's no prescribed activity. It's too early for dinner, too early to party, but classes are over and there's no need to start your weekend homework yet. If you live on campus, there's no commute to transition between the workweek and the weekend, so unless you're leaving for a trip, you're thrown into an activity-less limbo.

A couple of years ago, when I was working at the Women's Studies Center, we started a Friday afternoon tradition of hosting a knitting circle. It began as a fundraiser for breast cancer research--we'd knit up hats and scarves and then raffle them off to students when the frosty winter air blew in. It was such a hit that we started a new project when that one was done, crocheting children's clothes and blanket squares for Afghans for Aghans.

The Friday afternoon circles continued all year long. When three o'clock rolled around, a few student workers and other enthusiasts would trickle in. I'd finish up my last emails and turn off the computer. We'd dig out the box of yarn and needles and settle into the couches while someone turned the radio on. Thus, the last few hours of every work week were spent sitting in our cozy Center, talking about campus happenings or just knitting in companionable silence.

I miss that now. There are a few student workers who come in on Friday afternoons this semester, and I try to think of fun things for us to do on those days. Last week we took the bus to Davis Square to pick up refreshments for a seminar and check out the new cupcake bakery. This week we went to a talk on solar energy. It's not knitting, but it's a nice break after sitting and staring at my monitor for four and a half days.

Anyway, now the fester is over and I'm leaving on a little road trip. Stephen and I are heading to New York (state) tonight to see my parents and siblings. Yay for brilliant maple leaves along the Mass Pike!